Friday, March 10, 2017

Retro fridays and gamepro magazine

Gamepro magazine was the video game magazine in the 90's among with EGM and it gives a lot of 90's teens/kids warm fuzzy nostalgia. Some of the earlier 90's issues were huge(page wise) but towards the middle and 1998 part of the decade it trimmed down but lost not of the good writing. I would frequently check the magazine stand at stater bros and lucky's to check out the newest issue of gamepro. In 1997 and 1998 is when I really started collecting them. I had a lot of issues that I would take with me to the laundro mat while my mom did laundry. I would read the moves list for mk4(the best way to know to do a move was read gamepro) and marvel super heroes vs street fighter and that made me the game player I am today

Gamepro magazine is well known for their picture icon ratings they give games, every game was rated in 5 areas on a scale of 0.5 to 5.0 with different icons indicting the rating. Another thing they are known for is the protip, it is what it sounds like(a pro tip) with a screen shot and yes some tips are better then others. What I almost left out is that every writer or editor has a "stage name" and hand drawn art for the stage name. We don't know the real names of the writers or what they look like, for example there's major mike, miss spell, scary larry and dan elektro

Sadly all good things come to an end and so did gamepro magazine but not without leaving a lasting legacy


No comments:

Post a Comment