Sunday, September 28, 2014

How I got my nintendo 64

Ever since the n64 debuted in 1996 I really wanted one and the game super mario 64. Every time I went to sears or best buy I would play the n64 on the kiosk setup. The system was on a timer that would reset itself after about 15 minutes so kids wouldn't hogg it all day. I still remember the "thank you for playing nintendo 64 now whose next?" from mario. One kid even told me a rumor he heard that there was a secret door in the first bowser room that would let you bypass the hole in the floor. I still search for that door today out of habit. Best buy used to have a huge screen above the kiosk that was visible to everyone within the store and in the parking lot(it was that big). I haven't found any pictures of that giant display online but I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers it.




I had a subscription to nintendo power from 1998 to 2000 for some strange reason. I only had a gameboy pocket and they covered the n64 a lot. That magazine made me crave the game banjo kazooie to the point where I associate the year 1998 with my lust for that game. I had a friend that lived close to me and in 1997 I would go to his house often to play super mario 64 which is a pretty bad reason to keep a friend if you ask me. My dad also rented me a n64 in 1997 from hollywood and diddy kong racing. I had the system for 5 days and I was in little kid heaven the whole time.

I finally got my n64 in june 2002 at this video rental store called sj video(which currently is in the rental store in the sky). They were getting rid of their old inventory to clear the way for the new generation of systems and DVDs. I got the n64 for $60 and it came with 2 grey controllers. It was the system the owner would use to test out games and he didn't play it or rent it out. I was as happy as this kid. The first game I bought was super mario 64 and banjo kazooie. I could not believe I was the proud owner of a nintendo 64. To make things even better, kb toys was sadly going out of business and they had n64 games for cheap sometimes as much as 90% off. I got banjo tooie and the guide to accompany it and kobe bryant's nba courtside 2. At gamestop I got mario kart 64 and diddy kong racing and space station silicon valley and mario party 3.

Sadly I sold my cherished n64 in 2010 because I realized I could play most of my games on the wii. I did keep one controller though. I still use that controller to play n64 games on a wii (with an adapter) and it is better then then actual n64. The one game I wish I could play is banjo tooie but I figure it's for the best as it is very time consuming to beat. Hopefully this post gives you a warm fuzzy feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment