Friday, August 26, 2016

Retro fridays and 1979 by the smashing pumpkins

Why this particular song? well maybe it's the tempo and the music video or the fact it was played often when it was released(and still is) but it brings me strong nostalgia and very specific memories that other kids can relate or ones that were around in 1996 to 2000ish

When I was little I had a lot more friends then what I have now and no the point is not to make me seem like an awkward loner, anyways at the time laser tag was a hot game especially among kids and pre teens. Usually every friday evening me and some of the guys would meet up at our friend's house and his mom would drive us in her white 1992 ford taurus to the laser tag arena. On every drive we would hear 1979 on the radio without fail. It was that popular, so those friday trips built up my memories but what gives me even more nostalgia is the way back home


Usually the gang slept over at our friend's house and I am getting too far ahead of myself, so I'll roll it back a bit. On the way home from LT, of course 1979 came on the radio but what gives me the most joy even nowadays is hearing his mom say the almost magical words "do you guys want to stop by and get pizza?" which saying that to kids is a no brainer. We always stopped by pizza hut and got 2 stuffed crust za's and hi C juice boxes

Where the memories were made was the nights spent staying up late playing nintendo 64 and eating pizza and just talking about whatever struck our fancy whether it be girls, video games, our parents or even something as small as mcdonalds toys. We bonded together over pizza and n64 and every time I hear 1979 by the smashing pumpkins it takes me back to those times spent in the car and the simple anticipation of what was to unfold that evening

No comments:

Post a Comment