Friday, April 22, 2016

Retro fridays and mighty morphin power rangers

Mighty morphin power rangers is the first 3 seasons of the power rangers saga after which it would change names every season. It is the most iconic and nostalgia filled of the power rangers story

I grew up watching reruns after school and on saturday afternoons. MMPR is responsible for my bad homework ethic when I was a little kid but I corrected that as I got older. Anyways It is a formulaic childern's tv show where 5(later 6) teenagers with attitude use their morphing powers to defeat the monsters sent by rita repulsa

The backstory is that rita was in a space dumpster for 10 thousand years then was freed by her goons meanwhile ancient arch rival zordon gives powers to 5 teenagers to help combat the evil rita. Her method to destroy the rangers is to have a goon build some more goons from clay(they are baked) called putties

They are quickly destroyed by the rangers then rita sends a monster that quickly gets in way over it's head so rita makes it grow huge. The rangers then call on their zords and join them together to form the megazord. They always destroy the enemy and everyone is happy

Later on lord zedd joins rita and they get married(he's also jewish and wore a yamica) and they fail as a couple so rita's brother joins too(the evil lair gets pretty crowded). Meanwhile 3 rangers leave the team and 3 new ones join and eventually a 4th one joins the cast while one departs. The zords change throughout the series

By season 3 I felt like this show had too much change and I barely recognized it so I didn't watch much of that season. Even the bullies(bulk and skull) become jr policemen and the rangers pick up some power cycles. Only the theme song stayed the same and a few minor characters and 2 rangers throughout the whole 3 seasons

The theme song is incredibly cool and I have it as a ringtone, the green and red rangers are the coolest ones and I even went as the red ranger for one halloween. The green ranger became the white one and he was the leader of the group even though the red ranger was the previous leader

The show became an instant pop culture hit and it still is today but it went out of style in the late 90's and I got made fun of then for liking mmpr. It's funny that those same people now compliment my mmpr shirts. I still have a childhood red ranger and black ranger action figures I got for christmas one year


No comments:

Post a Comment