Friday, January 16, 2015

Retro fridays and video rental stores

It saddens me that these things are going the way of the dinosaur. There was one across the street from me and about 10 others in my town when I was little. Now the only one that I know of is the public libraries. Anyways back to the nostalgia. I use to rent at this place called top video and it cost $1 a day(video games or movies) until hollywood video opened up. Before that I tried blockbuster video but they cost too much and the late fees were ridiculous. Hollywood video won me over with it's price and huge selection. I miss the boxes and boxes and rows and rows of covers. You can't get that feeling with netflix or redbox.  I would spend a long time because a lot of horror movies had sexy box covers. How can you say no to jaws or jaws 2? or it? Species also has a good cover. I reading the little description on the back and making mental notes to buy this movie when I was 17. I would do something similar with super nintendo games especially earthbound. I always wondered why it has a huge box and then I would rent super mario rpg or kirby's superstar or donkey kong country 3. Now I own all 3 on my wii and can easily play them on the go. As dvds replaced vhs, I shifted my rental place to sj video. Sj video was a small independent store that charged $1.20 a day for a dvd. So I continued renting there until they went out of business. When they did I bought about 20 vhs movies for 25 cents each and I still have all of them. Kids growing up nowadays will never know the joy of walking into a video store and having to pick one movie from 4 or 6 choices and then you run home and it turns out to be horrible.



No comments:

Post a Comment