Friday, March 11, 2016

A loose battery terminal connector changed my plans

Before I jump into the main story I should flash back to wednesday of last week. The truck battery finally died (after 3 years of ownership) so me and my dad got another one at autozone. The employee that was installing it also put in a new terminal connector(aka the clamp part that has a screw going through it that connects to the battery)

However he did not have the right size screw for it(it was a little too small) further leading to my current pickle. He somehow got the screw to stay in place with the terminal connector and me and my dad went home. Once at home he put a screw near the C part of the terminal connector so it would stay tight and not move around

That was that and I quickly forgot about it until today. Being home alone, I went to the mall with my good friend crystal and her brother and his gf(she'll say she's my best friend) then to bk. Once we got our food we went to the truck and it would not start. Not even the radio would turn on nor the doors would lock or unlock.

I tried lots of things until I got to thinking about the battery, I didn't have any tools on me so I hit the terminal connector with a snapple lid and this got some power so I was able to raise the windows before it rained.

Butttt and this is an important but, as soon I tried to start the engine it was like the battery was disconnected. I didn't have any pliers so I used the red part of the jumper cable to "crimp" the terminal connector. I waited 12 mins with my friend then I tried and it started and success. I was able to drop her off and make it home before it rained

Tomorrow I am going to go to o'reily's in the morning to get 1 or 2 replacement terminal connectors(they look like a C and connect to the battery) I been looking and it seems to be a simple fix. I'll take rags and pliers and wrenches in case fate likes to tempt me and the same thing happens in the parking lot.

So I was saved from having to call a tow truck(which would have been a lot of $$) but I had to cut short my hanging out with my friend all because of autozone and my dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment