Friday, November 11, 2016

Retro fridays and gex enter the gecko for gameboy color

This game is a specific brand of nostalgia as most people haven't played gex:enter the gecko for the game boy color as it is an extremely unpopular port of an extremely popular ps1 and n64 game. I got it for cheap at best buy and of course I bought it because hey cheap new game right? and the home console versions of gex was pretty good. I also got it because I read a preview about it on nintendo power magazine so I figured the gbc version was just as good. Ah the joys and innocence of youth when we didn't know any better and assumed most games were playable or good

Ok I am being too harsh on gex for the gbc as it brings me a lot of nostalgia. The game itself is pretty solid, it's a platforming adventure game with a hub world and a wide variety of levels. However it tries to do too much on a gameboy(it also plays on a brick gameboy or gameboy pocket) as some of the levels are simply too big and the goals are too vague among with the hints. Oh and there's no battery backup so you have to write down some long arrow passwords. Yes I still have the papers and papers of passwords. I did enjoy just exploring the huge levels even if I didn't know what to do or where to go. I mostly played it on a gameboy pocket so that made it a little bit harder to navigate without the color

I fondly remember this game because of pokemon blue, when it came out I so wanted blue that I even saved 2 new AAA batteries for it. However the store was sold out so more disappointment and I was back to playing gex enter the gecko until I was able to get my hands on pokemon blue.



No comments:

Post a Comment