Friday, November 18, 2016

Retro fridays and mortal kombat 3

The very first time I played mortal kombat 3 was at my friend's house with his super nintendo, I remember it pretty well. His mom's white 1992 ford taurus was in the drive way so I knew he was home somehow. He had a nintendo 64 and a sega genesis and 32x and possibly a sega CD and a game gear and gameboy and possibly a 3DO. I know his brother also had a good gaming pc(for the time) and I was amazed that this video game heaven was so close to me. Compared to me with just my snes and a handful of games. Ok so he asks if I wanted to play the newest mortal kombat game so I say yes and he puts it in his snes

I have played mk2 and 1 but this game blew me away. The atmosphere and music perfectly sets the tone among with the character select screen. The roster is a big departure from the previous games with returning characters getting new looks such as sub zero and kano and jax and shang tsung. We played a lot of battles and of course I wanted this game for my snes but it was expensive(around $40 brand new) so I made the most of my visits to his house. I also rented it a couple of times and that's where a lot of my memories come from. I still remember the code for the kool stuff secret menu that my friend told me

I bought a magazine that was pretty much codes for different consoles and I learned another life lesson. Always check to see that everything is intact, my magazine have the mk3 section ripped out so I was doomed for months wondering what the other cheats were. I luckily wrote down more cheats from a tips and tricks onto a note card(you couldn't just look them up on the internet) then copied them onto more papers just in case I lost one. I got extremely good at the game and still am especially with smoke. I can be your worst nightmare with dial a combos, I am also good with kabal and sindel. I rarely played this game at the arcade since the AI is extremely cheap which brings me to my next point

The AI in this game is extremely hard and cheap and they cheat. The computer reads which buttons your pressing so if you do a special move by the time you pull it off, the cpu is already countering even on the very easy difficulty. The way to counter this is to trick the computer into doing a move then do a teleport attack, I can beat them with smoke but with other characters it's a lot harder

Sure ultimate mortal kombat 3 is better but I'll always have a soft spot for mk3


No comments:

Post a Comment