Saturday, November 12, 2016

retro saturdays and grand theft auto 3

Grand theft auto 3 is considered the grand daddy of gta games and the one that changed the game. The first 2 gta games were pretty similar only they were limited by a top down bird's eye perspective that turn off a lot of potential players(I was one of them) but gta 3 is the 1st entry that went 3D. The very 1st time I played it was after I got it at the swap meet for $20 back in 2002. Yeah they let me buy it easy peasy despite not being 17 and my dad didn't care again because it didn't have nudity or sexual situations. When I first played it I thought the time was a timer that would let you explore for a certain amount of time then stop and all of a sudden your in a different level or something similar. Once I realize this world was mine to explore I was blown away

At first I just drove around and explored and took in the different buildings and little nooks and crannies. I stole a truck and sped off to go off jumps from various ramps. I had the time of my life just driving and driving and listening to the different radio stations. I punched someone and he ran away and I couldn't chase him down. I punched someone else and they punched back and I knocked him out then picked up some money. Besides that, the most nostalgia I have for gta 3 is back in the summer of 2003. I was on summer break from school so of course I had a lot of free time that I spent playing gta 3, every day I would play for at least one hour. I got my tampico juice in a big cup and found a lot of easter eggs and jumps and glitches. I found out that if you use the perfect handling cheat and jump on top of a hospital roof then it's not solid and you fall through into a blue hell. I found out there is a sign that is rather easy to get to that says you weren't supposed to get here. I found out there is an invisible wall limiting the world, I found out you can fit more then 2 or 3 cars in a garage by parking one half way in and then driving in another

I spent a lot of time looking for hidden packages and have found 93, I looked for hidden missions, I used to get my wanted level to 6 stars and see how long I could last before dying, I drove a tank and saw how much I could last. I spent a lot of time on gta 3 and it still gives me warm memories

I tried to replicate the summer of 03 a few years later with gta liberty city stories but the magic just wasn't there. There is no feeling like being in a new world that's your's to explore well maybe a new gta game

No comments:

Post a Comment