Friday, April 28, 2017

Retro fridays and spyro the dragon 1

When it came out, spyro the dragon was seen as sony's answer to mario (especially super mario 64) so it had some pretty high hopes and dreams on it's tiny scaly shoulders. Like it's name suggests, the game is about a dragon named spyro who has to rescue his elder dragons and save his town from gnasty gnorc. It's not the most original story but it's fine because most people cared about the gameplay which is very similar to super mario 64 with it's level portals and a main hub and doors that open once you get a certain amount of gems

The graphics were good for it's time and the controls hold up well. It was a solid and successful game that is easily worth playing at least once then it sucks you in. My cousin got this game and a playstation in 1998 and I was extremely jealous of him however, he would let me play it when I was over so it worked out ok for me. I did get this game in 2008 or 2009 for $1 at a swap meet(disc only) but I haven't played it since then(only to see if it works). Spyro would later have a trilogy of ps1 games and have some ps2 games before fizzing out on the gba and returning with the skylander series. Not bad for a mario clone


No comments:

Post a Comment