Saturday, April 15, 2017

Retro saturdays and portable tv

Back in the 90's, portable tv's were a thing and you could go out to best buy(I don't remember the electronics section of target) and get one if you had the $. To a kid the allure of having a small tv when your in the back seat of a car seemed like the best thing ever. The cheapest one I saw at best buy was $99.99 for one that was shaped like a convex snoball and yes that didn't make sense so it was shaped like a thick short thumb. I saved and saved my money including christmas and bday money for almost 2 years but I finally had enough to buy the little tv

This was in 2001 when I bought it and it was great. I would carry that thing similar to how flava flav carries a big clock(I said clock) around. It had a strap that doubled as a necklace and antenna. Most of the time when I was sitting down I got pretty good reception especially when my mom was driving her white 1989 f150. I would never miss an episode of blind date or elimidate and my mom would take it to her work sometimes to watch tv on her lunch and breaks

The battery life was decent and it used 4 AA batteries, When the batteries were close to dying they screen would get darker and darker until it turned off. I would trade it for a mexican soccer team jersey to my uncle when I went to visit him in mexico and that was that. I thought about getting another one but with the switch to digital tv it wouldn't get reception unless I jerry rig a converter box but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable tv. Maybe I can use it as a screen to play ps2/wii on it


No comments:

Post a Comment