Saturday, May 27, 2017

Retro saturdays and book fairs

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has strong memories about book fairs especially in elementary school. Most of my positive childhood memories revolve around reading and book fairs are just one example. Book fairs are pop up shops at elementary school that sold books(obviously) and book marks and other non book things like pencils and paper and pens and random cheap toys but for many of us it was the allure of seeing those rolling book shelves arranged in a neat display. There was something almost hypnotic about the metallic shelves displaying all the new books, maybe it was the new book smell that drew us kids similar to a pie baking on a window still to draw from a cliche

I would always check out the new goosebumps books and fear street and wanted to buy a bunch of stuff but I wasn't rich(still aren't) so I saved my money for the book order forms as those had lower prices. Even today just seeing one makes me want to stop and look at the books. Many kids today can relate to that experience and I'm glad it's not gone by the wayside(book fairs) as pretty soon my sister will go to the same elementary school I did and I will walk the same halls I did when I was younger and smaller and I will go to the book fair and mark out like a 5 year old

No comments:

Post a Comment