Friday, September 8, 2017

Retro fridays and night and weekend minutes

For those of us that had a cell phone in the early to as recent as the late 00's, you will remember night and weekend minutes. See back then it was a different cell phone world, texts were limited and were brought in packages of say 500 texts per month or you could splurge for unlimited texting(which I had) and that made you a big balla. Calls were limited too as many providers had minute plans such as 300 minutes a month or 500 minutes a month, unlimited calling was rare and expensive. To make up for this, there was nights and weekends free, this meant that you have unlimited calls on weekends and nights(most started at 9pm) and lead to more competition. I think it was cingular wireless that started offering nights at 7pm then it escaladed from there

I remember waiting until 9:01 pm just to be extra sure before I called a girl and friday nights were the best as you had the next 2 days with unlimited calling. I would get so many calls from different people and I would call them too. It was a more social-able time as people actually did talk on the phone. I'm not quite sure when unlimited calling became more common place but it makes talking so much easier that ironically people talk less on the phone now. I remember all those nights I would call my girlfriend at the time to see what's new or to catch up on my gossip. Now it's a remnant of a previous time

No comments:

Post a Comment