Saturday, December 10, 2016

retro saturdays and mortal kombat 4

Mortal kombat finally jumped into the third dimension with this game. This was the 1st mk fighting game that was released that didn't have motion captured 2d graphics but instead, fully 3D computer generated polygons. With the jump to 3D comes the ability to step side to dodge attacks but now onto the game itself. When released in the arcades this was a big deal as fans wanted to see mk in 3D and how the newest game would turn out. I remember playing it and feeling confused as it kept the gameplay engine from mk3 but it controlled like virtual fighter. I remember picking subzero and being blown away at the graphics and the sound effects and the faster speed of the gameplay. This wasn't the same ol' mk game anymore and that was great

The game(well goro anyways) was on the july or august 1998 issue of egm2 and I remember reading it at newstands at stater  bros then buying it for the moves list. My new favorite character quickly became fujin and me and my best friend(at the time) would spend every recess and lunch talking about mortal kombat 4. We talked about rumors and tips and possible ideas for the next mortal kombat game. It consumed our lives and the playstation and n64 release blew our minds. He got it for ps1 as I didn't have one and he would brag about playing it every day after school. He moved away at the end of the school year but I still played mk4

I would later get my own copy for the ps1 in 2008 at a swap meet for $3 and nostalgia can create pretty powerful memories. If you never played it, pick quan chi or shinnok as they are beginner friendly characters


No comments:

Post a Comment