Friday, June 9, 2017

Retro fridays and goosebumps the haunted school.

So why the haunted school when there are more iconic goosebumps books? it's the one that gives me the most nostalgia and brings back the most vivid memories. The 59th book in the series and released in 1997 towards the end of the main run(62 books in goosebumps main series) the haunted school stands out the most to me. I got it on a warm summerish day(it may have been sept or oct) at a super kmart that went somewhere and is now a target. I walked in after we arrived in her white 1989 f-150 with a white camper shell on the back(it was a 2 door model with the dual gas tanks) and I told her I would be checking out the books/magazines so that's what I did. I don't remember looking at the magazines but I sure did look at the goosebumps. I decided between the beast from the east, the haunted school and ghost camp and I ended up getting those 3(yes my mom paid for them and she used to make really good money when I was little and no I wasn't spoiled) that day and I was happy. I still have my beast from the east and ghost camp books complete with the filled out order forms in the back and original price stickers. Sadly my the haunted school book got ruined in the rain as my dad left it out in a milk crate but happily I have another copy of it

The haunted school is about a haunted school, a new kid named tommy is on the dance committee and he is setting up for a dance when a girl asks him to run somewhere to get some more supplies, he ends up going into an elevator that takes him sideways instead of up or down. When he steps out, everything is in black and white and in the 50's, if only time travel was that easy. Anyways it turns out that the elevator is a portal between the new and old school(that got trapped in time by a photographer wirh an evil camera) and yes tommy does end up escaping the dark world. The twist ending is pretty nice too and the book itself might be worth a read if only for the interesting plot device

No comments:

Post a Comment