Saturday, June 3, 2017

Retro saturdays and smells like teen spirit

When released this was THE song that changed everything, the music iindustry took a 180 and everything got flipped upside down. Micheal jackson and pop music and hair metal went out and in came grunge. Smells like teen spirit is the lead single from the 2nd nirvana album nevermind. It starts off with the now familiar guitar solo then explodes into a wave of bass and drums. In the 90's it was fresh and popular on the radio(it still is) and it gave angsty teens and adults from generation X a voice and made kurt cobain that so called voice of a generation

For me I always thought it was a cool song that was always on the radio and I associated it with my childhood, everywhere I went, there was a car that was blasting smells like teen spirit or when I was in a car with my mom it would come on the radio. If I was riding bikes with the neighbor boys someone would have a walkman and they would be blasting it. If I was at the mall it would be on the muzik system. Everywhere i went, I couldn't escape it

Nowdays it's just a normal song but I still blast it sometimes when I drive especially on retro fridays and saturdays just to give myself those memories. I'm sure somewhere out there, krist is listening to this song and thinking to himself "I used to be in nirvana" The music video also gives the song that edge that has caused it to stay in our collective memories long after it's so called expiration date. When I saw it I thought it was scary and confusing but calming kind of like the song itself
Here's the link to the music video

No comments:

Post a Comment