Friday, June 30, 2017

Retro fridays and vhs tapes

Is there anything more 80's and 90's then a vhs cassette. For many of us growing up, these were the symbol of our childhood and seeing one triggers instant nostalgia. I had a lot of movies well not that many but it seemed like a lot to me when I was little. I would spend many slow saturday and sunday evenings just looking through what I owned to see what I wanted to watch. I would thumb through and feel the cassettes as you had to feel them just to know what you wanted to watch. Something about physically touching the cassette makes it more your own and can't be replicated even with a dvd disc. I loved to open the top flap and touch the tape and sometimes the tape would jam so I would have to unwind it to get it to play otherwise it crinkles and then it skips a part

Of course there was the fun in stacking vhs tapes and trying to play jengo and/or using them as a weapon against your cousins. Vhs was good for it's time but the quality does degrade over time giving it the vintage 90's look if you use a vcr although that effect can't be replicated with a dvd or on netflix. Nowdays vhs tapes are seen as a relic of a bygone era but for those of us like me, they are a reminder of where we came from


No comments:

Post a Comment