Friday, August 7, 2015

Retro fridays and smashing pumpkins

Smashing pumpkins are one of those bands like nirvana that instantly make me feel like it's 1994 when I listen to them. I base this all of the melon collie album though and not their later work. The song zero sounds full of teen angst in a good way, I'm not sure why but you can feel the 90'sness of it. 1979 is another song that gives me strong nostalgia. Maybe it's because I grew up in a time when malls used to exist and were populated with crowds of people, but it used to be on all the store muzik's and on the radio a lot. It reminds me of a simpler time when we weren't so paranoid.

When I was little I also used to go to my friend's house to have a sleep over. His mom would take us to play laser tag(remember that?) in her white 1989 ford taurus while we were hyping ourselves up for the fun that was about to be unleashed. The game was good but it's not where the memories were made, no it was after all the laser tagging. On the way back his mom would ask us if we want pizza and to our little kid selves it was like heaven. Of course we never said no and many hours were spent driving to and from the laser tag arena while listening to 1979 by smashing pumpkins.

California has mild winters so a lot of evenings feel summer like during the drives. Off topic but we used to play a lot of super nintendo at his house which I'll mention in another post. Ok back on topic, 1979 just has the laid back summer vibe that makes you want to cruise around in the evening and wish you were a little kid again and then you wonder what your doing with your life and if you should have done anything different. Ok those last 2 are just me.


Here's the 1979 video

The video for zero


No comments:

Post a Comment