Monday, July 18, 2016

Why have older video games vanished?

Back in the late 90's to early 2000's I used to go to the santa fe springs swap meet and the paramount swapmeet in paramount and the fiesta swap meet in pico rivera(that swap meet is now gone) a lot

This post isn't to show off that I would go to a lot of swap meets, no it's about video games. I used to find a lot of super nintendo systems with 1 or 2 controllers and a handful of good games all from $30 to $50. Actually that's how I got my most recent super nintendo

I got it for $50 back in 2002 and it came with 2 controllers, super mario world,super mario kart, donkey kong country,killer instinct, mortal kombat 3, rival turf and nba jam. Nowadays that is considered a steal bt back then it was normal and common

I also got a sealed donkey kong country 2 in 2002 for $20. Now when I go to a swap meet all I see is random ps2 and xbox games usually a handful or less from all the vendors combined. It is very rare to see a super nintendo or sega genesis game or even nintendo 64

In my years of going to the vineland swapmeet(6 or 7) I have seen super mario allstars and the legend of zelda the ocarina of time and different madden snes games. What was once common now seems to have vanished into the ether

However those were fun times as it was cheap and easy to get good video games, I ended up with the banjo games,super mario rpg($20 from funcoland) super mario 64, mario kart 64, super smash bros, pokemon snap, the legend of zelda a link to the past, mario party 3, the misadventures of tron bonne and the donkey kong country trilogy

I got all these from swapmeets for low prices without even trying because these were common games and didn't sell for big money. It was all about the joy the games brought you

Ironically I did sell both my super nintendo and n64 and all my games on ebay because I could play them on my wii with less problems. It got tiring having games that would start on their 5th or 10th time then if you even looked at the snes it would freeze. That's one thing I don't miss at all

I bought low and sold high but what surprises me is how much these games are "worth" and how deluded sellers on craigslist are. That said, it still brings me joy to see a super nintendo game

No comments:

Post a Comment