Friday, February 17, 2017

retro fridays and tips & tricks magazine

If you grew up in the 90's then you already know the internet wasn't like how it is today. For those that didn't well it wasn't like how it is today. You couldn't just look up cat videos or a walkthrough of a zelda game or cheats for a super nintendo game. If you wanted to use cheats in mortal kombat 2 then you would get a tips and tricks magazine aka the gamer's cheat guide or the mag that would make you popular on the playground. Tips and tricks magazine is a video game magazine that had it's hay day in the 90's as it seemed to be a product of the times. Half of the magazine was tips/walkthrough/maps for a game while the 2nd half was a cheat code list. It was organized by system and there was a lot of games for those systems. It was great in a pre internet world when you could bust out a tips and tricks magazine and look up cheats for twisted metal 2 or ridge racer or mortal kombat 3(yes I know I keep mentioning different games) I had one issue and that lasted me awhile and when there was a new game that I wanted cheats for I would get a lot of notecards

This is where my 90'sness shows, I would go to albertsons and write down cheats for a new game in the newest issue of tips and tricks magazine(it was $4.99 so I wasn't buying it) on a note card then copy those cheats onto 4 different papers just in case. Nowadays I can just type the name of a game and cheats into google and look them up right away. Old habits die hard and at times I miss those days of tips and tricks magazine. It left an impact on a generation of kids


No comments:

Post a Comment