Saturday, February 4, 2017

Retro saturdays and playing in the street

Something that modern kids don't do enough is play in the street/alley. I'm not talking about busy 4 lane streets but small suburban streets where hardly any cars go by. When I was little, me, my brother and my neighbor would ride our bikes around the street and jump over things. Sometimes the neighborhood kids would join us and we would go to lucky's(super market) and just goof off. Our neighbor who looked a lot like david hasslehoof and never wore a shirt, made us a ramp one time out of wood(yes I still have it) to jump off. Sadly we would grow up and go our separate ways but the memories of playing have stuck with us

Maybe because helicopter parenting has become the in thing and cell phones/computers/tablets have taken over kids times, but kids don't play as much in the street as I used to. I also didn't get approached by a stranger or almost hit by a car, it was a simpler and safer time and my mom didn't helicopter parent and I turned out ok

No comments:

Post a Comment