Friday, February 10, 2017

Retro fridays and universal studios hollywood

This post is more specific to me unless you happened to go to universal studios hollywood in the mid to late 90's with a heavy emphasis on the mid 90's. The last time I went to universal was in 1997 and I still have some fond,vivid memories of my time. I don't remember the car ride to the theme park or that we parked in a parking garage, I do remember walking through the boardwalk and seeing all the stores and stopping to take a picture with the giant guitar by the hard rock cafe and the giant globe with a water fountain. I made a mental note to check out the (what I assumed was a discovery channel) science store on my way out, by check out I mean ask my parents and hope they'll wait for me and/or we all go in together. I don't remember how much tickets cost or even going through the admission gate(yes we did pay) I had sensory overload and couldn't make heads or tails of where to go or what ride to go on

Nowadays the park would be full of minions but back then there wasn't much costumed actor walking around, I did see beetlejuice and bride of frankenstein and a mummy so that was nice. I saw a ferrari 308 that was used in an 80's tv show(I think it was magnum pi) and I went to go see a beetlejuice show. It was onstage and a song and dance thing with fog and strobe lights that I wish it was still around. I went to a bird show(I don't remember that) and I went on the tram ride that is still operating. I saw the clock tower from back to the future(it burned down then got rebuilt) the shark from jaws, king kong(he also burned down then got replaced with a new look kong) cars from the little rascals and the flintstones movie and the A-Team van. Before that tram ride I went on the back to the future ride. It's a delorean that is on hydrolics and has video screens inside to simulate movement. The line to the ride was full of tv screens with doc brown on them. In the ride itself he is the narrartor and you travel back in time. It's sad that the bttf ride is gone as it was a pretty unique experience

One thing I did go on that is still around is the waterworld show, it had a big pit with water(a pool)  and explosions and a downed plane. I can go to universal today and still see the same show as I did back in 1997. My last memory is the way home, I did get to go to the science store as I call it and I bought a science kit for $5. I was amazed at all the little trinkets and knack knicks like magic kits and um...I don't remember much else from that store. I'm not sure if it still exists as I haven't gone since that magical day. Oh I do remember there was a lot of ads for beverly hills ninja and leave it to beaver

Of course not everyone went to universal studios hollywood in 1997 so this post may not apply to you but I hope I painted a good picture. One last thing, I saw a goth girl with a NIN shirt and bondage pants and that blew my mind


No comments:

Post a Comment