Saturday, February 25, 2017

Retro saturdays and palm pilots

From around 1997 to 2001 or so(give or take a year) palm pilots were to pdas what pagers were to the early 90 to mid 90's. They instantly made you cool and look like a big shot even if you used one to write down your shopping list or played solitaire. The term pda means personal digital assistant and palm was the name of the brand that made pilots aka palm pilots, got that? good because palm pilots were THE most popular brand of pdas in the late 90's. I did want one but they were too expensive so I mostly used store displays. I knew they had a built in calculator and memo pad aka e-paper, phone book, world time, clock, extra fancy and extra expensive add ons let you connect to the internet, send and receive emails, send and receive faxes, play games

I got one last year and I'm not sure why I wanted one so bad in the late 90's, maybe because it was the "cool" thing and it was a fad. It's funny the way the mind works, in case your wondering, smart phones replaced the palm pilot and it can do almost everything(except send/receive faxes maybe) in a smaller easier to use package


No comments:

Post a Comment