Friday, January 27, 2017

Retro fridays and mortal kombat 2

Mortal kombat 1 was a surprise hit for midway so of course there would be a sequel. Bigger,badder and better, mk2 expands upon mk1 tenfold. There are more characters,secret characters,levels and fatalities among with new bablities and friendships. The gameplay is tightened up so this was a huge deal when released. An instant classic, mk2 was a big quarter muncher at the arcades especially thanks to all the rumors. You can't start rumors about a modern game as someone has already combed through all the game data but in the 90's you were limited to what you heard from friends

For example, there was a rumor of shang tsung being able to morph into kintaro and a kano morph. If you were like most kids, you just played and had fun but I have another memory with mortal kombat 2. At a swap meet I saw a vender selling it for $20 for just the cartridge which was a big deal as it was a lot more then that also to a kid with no allowance/job it took me awhile to get all that money(legally) so when I finally went to the swap meet again I was let down to find out that mk2 was sold and instead I had to settle for mk1. I could have owned the snes version of mk2 and I would never own it until I got mk shaolin monks for the ps2 as it has the arcade version of mk2 as an unlockable

For many that lived through the era, mk2 is seen as the best mortal kombat game. Im good with scorpion and raiden and liu kang and sub zero



No comments:

Post a Comment