Saturday, January 21, 2017

Retro saturdays and polaroid cameras

By polaroid cameras I mean the ones that were extremely popular in the late 80's until the mid 90's if my memory serves me right. The ones that were usually black and squared shaped with no curves. They were the right camera at the right time and therefore a product of it's era. 35mm film cameras can get pricey even for a used one so more people turned to polaroid as they were cheap. The film came in a pack of 10 or 14 or maybe 16, it was an even number and you clipped it into a slot at the bottom of the camera

I believe the film also charged the battery(for flash and to display the shots you have left) and that was that, you were ready to shoot and here is where the nostalgia for polaroid cameras come from. Once you took the picture, a thick square came out of a slot with a grey picture and slowly it faded into the picture you took. You didn't need to develop a roll of a film and pay more money, the picture you took was right there for you to view in seconds similar to a camera phone

It blew my mind when my mom took the pictures and yes she did shake them to "develop them faster" although that has been proven not to work. That's where the line from the hey ya outkast song comes from "shake it like a polaroid picture"

These cameras got left behind by digital cameras and smart phones and flip phones but they will always have a special place in my childhood. Polaroid stopped making the film in the mid 00's but a company called impossible film took over and you can buy some film for a polaroid camera although it's more expensive. I have 3 polaroid cameras from different eras(70's,1991 and 1999) and although shooting with a digital camera or a dslr is what I mostly do, I still bust out my 1991 polaroid for old times sake


No comments:

Post a Comment