Saturday, January 14, 2017

Retro saturdays and mario kart 64

Idk how I made it this far in time without posting about mario kart 64 but alas it's time for mk64 to shine. The sequel to the surprise super nintendo hit, mario kart 64 took everything that made the previous game great and expanded on it ten fold. 3D graphics(although I consider them 2.5D) longer more involved levels, new characters, hills and dips!, new weapons and music. It instantly became a classic upon release and I couldn't get enough of mk64 at sears and best buy as an n64 was too expensive so I had to make do with store displays. I always picked toad or luigi or yoishi as they seem to be the fastest. My favorite levels were the freeway one, the desert with the train, bowser's castle, the snow level, moo moo farm, wario stadium, this game has a lot of memorable levels that draw you back for more

Of course it's possible to have fun by yourself  in this game but when you play 4player is where memories of a childhood are made. I would go with my friend's to play laser tag on a friday evening after school, usually his mom would pick us up in her white 1992 ford taurus and on the way to the laser tag place, 1979 by the smashing pumpkins would come on. We would have our fun and she would pick us up after she went to the mall and did some shopping or after she went to montegomery ward like a 90's mom or grandma. On the way back sometime she would ask us if we wanted pizza which was greet with cheers and yes shouts then it was off to pizza hut. Even if we didn't get 'za, the gang would play n64 until late at night with mario kart being the most popular game

Best buy used to have a huge 30 foot plus screen that was connected to an n64, at first they had super mario 64 then switched it to mario kart 64 when it was released. This was just to draw attention but it worked and I always tried to show off a little when I played that n64. I can almost hear the "welcome to mario kart" and "select your player"


No comments:

Post a Comment