Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas time reminds me of the 90's for some reason

When I think of christmas I think of kmart and the santa fe springs mall and the target that was next to it. I went to the location of my childhood kmart today(it's currently a target) and on my way home I got a strong sense of deja vu. I remember going to kmart and checking out the latest super nintendo games and video game magazines and how small tvs were. I remember looking at the new goosebumps books and december felt more magical back then. I would check out the latest toys and hot wheels too.

The santa fe springs mall ironically doesn't give me much nostalgia because I don't remember much from it. I remember it had a movie theater and it had an entrance to target. That target was my 2nd favorite store after kmart. I would run to the goosebumps books and magazines and hot wheels. Ironically I do that now but in reverse order. Sometimes while in line I would scope out the stores from the mall(the cashiers were literally by the entrance to it. Now when I go to that target you can see where the entrance to the mall was sealed up.

I'm not sure what it is but december just doesn't feel like christmas anymore especially compared to my childhood. Maybe it's because less people have christmas lights and less trees are sold and stores have christmas merchandise since september. It could also be that kbtoys isn't around and there are less "it" toys that all the kids want. I walk through the toy aisle a lot and the only thing that might interest kids is the ps4/xboxone, diary of a wimpy kid and skylander giants. Compared to my childhood where it was all about micro machines,super nintendo,yak bak, virtual pets, goosebumps, power rangers action figures, talkboy from home alone, yomega yo yos, playstation, nintendo 64 and tickle me elmo. Maybe it's just me but I wish more of us would take the time to slow down and appreciate the day

No comments:

Post a Comment