Friday, September 9, 2016

Retro fridays and nintendo power magazine

Among with the santa fe springs swap meet, nintendo power gives strong nostalgia on fridays especially if you combine the 2. Nintendo power was a nintendo only magazine made from 1988 to 2012 with what I consider the prime years of the 90's. Why it gives me very strong nostalgia is certain issues mostly from 1995 through 1998. I used to go to the swap meet with my mommy a lot on fridays and besides tgif, the other thing I looked foward to was np magazines

At that time in the late 90's they were cheap(usually $1) and plentiful and usually in great condition. I remember getting the 1st issue twice and one of them ended up being ripped by me not knowing it was the 1st issue of np(I have my other copy) I also got one that has donkey kong country 2 on the cover and another that has buster bunny that also gives me fuzzy memories. At a young age I loved reading and I couldn't wait to go home to read my newest issue or issues of nintendo power magazine

In 1998 I had a subscription to np with the one with stone cold on the cover being my 1st issue I got in the mail. I also remember buying the February 1998 issue at toys r us and for the longest time I would read and re-read that issue. The june 1998 issue with banjo and kazooie on the cover still gives me warm memories and I still have most of my childhood issues especially the ones from 1998 that have a mini pokemon magazine insert called pokemon power

Sadly the magazine got thinner and thinner in the late 00's and it finally ended in dec 2012. I have 2 copies of the last issue, it pays homeage to the 1st issue and has retrospectives of the whole decades. I have all the issues from 1996 through 1998 and most of 1995,1999 and various ones from 1990-1994 and they are going to stay in possession until I can't see the magazines


No comments:

Post a Comment