Friday, September 2, 2016

Retro fridays and the rocketeer super nintendo game

This post is not about the movie as I have never seen it and the only thing I know about it is that james bond stars in it. No this is about the ill fated quickie cash in, super nintendo game released some time shortly after the movie

This one is a specific kind of nostalgia that everyone may not have experienced but if you were one of the unlucky few to have played the rocketeer game in the 90's then you understand my anguish and frustration. Yes a game made me that mad I haven't forgot about it lots of years later

Give it a try if you don't believe me, anyways like most kids, I got the rocketeer because it was a cheap game I could afford with my semi kind of allowance. I believe it was $7 which to a jobless kid is a lot of $$ on a game you know nothing about. Seriously it just had the cartridge and no box so I was in the dark about what type of game it was

Once I put it in my super nintendo I quickly realized how cruel life can be. Yes I remember this vividly as it changed my life. Yes it is possible for a game to do that to a man or boy in my case. Since there was no manual with the game I was on my own(I couldn't look up the controls) about what button does what. Many years later I still have a vague idea of what the A and B button do

The 1st and only level I played is an airplane race, I have never seen the movie so I assume there is a plot device where james bond crashes an airplane and dons a metallic suit and I base this off the rocketeer cover. Anywho because it is a super nintendo game, the view is from the side in a 2D platforming manner

This is a huge problem as the race takes place above a field therefore making it hard to turn your plane for the curves. The AI is incredibly cheap and cheats often and simply has a faster airplane then you. I have spent many hours of my youth trying to beat it but it always ends the same

Even now I still can't beat it and if my friends knew it would bring me shame. I have no desire to see the movie thanks to the game and it's frustrating 1st level



No comments:

Post a Comment