Friday, September 23, 2016

Retro fridays and tv guide

Today's kids have it easy with guides and time slots and being able to look up the time of a tv show on a phone or on the internet. Say it's 1995 and you want to watch home improvement but your not sure what time it's on and you don't remember the commercial that aired the day before that showed the time slot. Well if you don't have cable like how I did, you would buy and then check the tv guide magazine. It was more of a subdued gossip rag with tv listings

Those were the main draw and made up 80% of the magazine although it's the size of a goosebumps book. The mag had listings for all the channels including cable for about 10 or 14 days based on my memory. Of course tv programs are scheduled to change but it did give you an idea of what is on at what times

Today tvguide.com exists and you can check the listings on the site or see what times and days a certain tv show will be on. The magazine itself still exists only it's the size of a normal magazine now. I like how I can buy a little piece of nostalgia even if it's not quite like how it was in my childhood

I used to collect them in 1997 through 2000 but I stopped as they slowly take up a lot of space, I still miss my tv guide collection and the covers give me a lot of nostalgia


No comments:

Post a Comment